SqlDbx Forum

SqlDbx

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-05 14:52:19

Jason Lipman

A Couple More Suggestions

I really like this tool, and I've brought it into my team. smile There are some things I'd like to see, and thought I'd drop the ideas here when I come across them.

1) A robust SQL Formatter with formatting options galore. I am picky about how I structure my SQL. I will not give details on this one, but think Toad. It does what I would like to see. smile

2) When cleaning up code, I would like to be able to dbl-click a block of space and have it highlight. It is the quickest way to remove 50 unnecessary spaces at once with the fewest keystrokes. And with the code I inherited, there's often alot of cleanup, not just SQL, but the comments, etc.., so this goes beyond just SQL Formatting.

3) I could really use an option to turn off column headers and the line beneath them. I have a lot of code that dynamically creates many EXECUTE statements. The column headers and lines make the output sloppy, and I need to clean it up before handing off the dynamically created EXECUTE statements.

4) From the Results Tab, when generating a Select, Insert, Update, default the created SQL to the bottom of the opened window, not where the cursor currently resides. It's a gotcha, so I keep doing Ctrl-Z to undo, move the cursor down to the bottom myself, then run the Generate again.

#2 2009-06-05 16:59:01

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Re: A Couple More Suggestions

1. I agree with you that SQL formatter is far from being perfect. In the future it will be improved but I can tell
you that to have SQL formatter for many SQL dialects, keep it small and satisfy everybody's preferences is not
an easy task

2. This looks like useful feature and easy to implement.

3. I am not sure I understand issue with column headers. Are you talking about multiple results sets.
You can turn off display of line with column types. Go to Options->Results and uncheck "Show column types".

4. I can see how it can be inconvenient at times, but on the other side it also not always good to force
it to the bottom. May be there should a way to specify it. For example if you hold Ctrl down when selecting
SELECT / UPDATE / DELETE then it copies it to the bottom

#3 2009-06-05 17:13:36

Jason Lipman

I like your idea for #4. Perhaps default can be to go to the bottom, hold down a key to stay where the cursor is?

For #3, I get the following result..

No Column
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EXECUTE qwe..br_unload_transactions_sp1 '489','USD','BBB','06/04/2009','N'
EXECUTE qwe..br_unload_transactions_sp1 '489','USD','INV','06/04/2009','N'
EXECUTE qwe..br_unload_balance_sp1      '489',1791,'USD','BBB','06/04/2009'
EXECUTE qwe..br_unload_balance_sp1      '489',1791,'USD','INV','06/04/2009'

I would like to prevent "No Column" and the dashs from writing to the result text tab.

#4 2009-06-06 00:56:07

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Now it's clear. I assume in this case you would like "Rows affected ()" messages not showing too
We have an option to include messages in Grid, so I think it's ok if we will have option to not include
them when results in Text

#5 2009-06-07 00:00:59

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Updated SqlDbx Beta version available for download.
Items 2, 3 and 4 were added this release.
For item 4 if Ctrl is pressed SQL will go to the bottom and default will stay the same.
If you licensed user and wish to download SqlDbx Pro Beta version then
send a message to support at sqldbx.com and they will provide you with
the download link.

#6 2009-06-18 09:33:25

Jason Lipman

Thank you. Impressive turn-around! smile I'll followup with the people responsible in our company.

#7 2009-10-15 09:55:01

Jason Lipman

2-4 tested successfully. Thanks again!

Board footer