SqlDbx Forum

SqlDbx

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-08 18:34:06

cthomson

Closing Window Question

Is there a configuration setting to eliminate the "not saved" prompt when closing a window or the program?

Most of the time I have SqlDbx open to run quick queries when asked so I often have numerous connection windows open with queries that are just "throw away" once I've got the results.  When I close the program at the end of the day, I get bombarded with a series of prompts to save the unsaved scripts/queries.  I never need to because I've already saved the ones I want to keep and they are always available through the (tremendously handy) history feature anyway.

#2 2013-04-08 19:11:22

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Re: Closing Window Question

Just make sure that Options->General->Enable Session State is checked and do not save any scripts.

#3 2013-04-09 15:39:07

cthomson

Thank you.  That almost accomplishes what I was looking for.  However, most of my queries are "throw away" (one time execution not needed again once results are retrieved) so that option just shifts the clicking from when I close the program to when I open it the next day - to clean out the no longer needed queries restored with the session.

Is there some other option that just prevents the program for prompting upon closing unsaved queries?  If not, is there any chance it might become a user configurable option in the future?

#4 2013-04-10 05:59:49

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

I do not see how it can be an option. I believe it has to be explicit user action.
One potential solution might be to have a menu item "Close all not saved scripts"

#5 2013-04-10 08:16:55

cthomson

A menu option would be a useful solution.

I remembered one of my SQL tools having a configuration option but I had to go back and do some searching because I have switched to using SqlDbx almost exclusively.  I finally found SQL Maestro has a section labeled "Confirmations" in their options dialog.  In it there are check boxes to turn on/off various user confirmations such as "Confirm exit from application", "Confirm transaction commit", etc.  One of the options is "Confirm exit from modified editor"... by turning that off,  I can close editor windows (or the application with multiple windows open) without being prompted to save unsaved queries.  That's what I meant when I asked about a configuration option.

My preference would be a user selectable option but a menu item to "close all without prompting" or "exit program without prompting" (especially if it could be assigned to a keystroke) would accomplish basically the same thing.  Thanks.

#6 2013-11-12 10:19:45

cthomson

Another possibility is the way Quest (now Dell) Toad products work... they have a prompt for unsaved queries but they have it as a dialog box listing all unsaved queries at once.  The dialog box allows selecting which queries to save and also gives the option to exit without saving any.  This combines the safety of a reminder with the convenience of a quick exit when desired.

The other day I had been working in SqlDbx all day and had several connections and multiple script windows open when I closed the program.  It seemed to take forever to click (and click, and click...) on each prompt for an unsaved script when I knew I didn't need to save any of them.  I was very tempted to just use Task Manager to kill the process.

#7 2013-11-13 22:50:04

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

I am not sure about how your workflow goes, but why would you open numerous windows just to type throw away query in it?
I would like to better understand what you do.

#8 2013-11-14 18:42:04

cthomson

I am often comparing results of several queries so I use multiple script tabs to keep the query text separate for reference.  Other times I am comparing the results of various queries to printed reports produced by users for validation purposes.  That's also why I heartily support the other suggestion to have script tabs and result tabs synchronized to each other - that way each time I open a new script tab to run a slightly changed query, I would get a corresponding result tab opened and not overwrite the results I want to compare.  I know I can use the "Result In New Tab" option but that doesn't provide any correlation to remind me which result goes with which query.  Having the two synchronized would mean that Script1 has its results in Results1 and so on.

I do this sometimes all day long and for multiple databases on our SQL Server (hence multiple windows as well as multiple tabs).  SqlDbx has become my "go to" tool for quickly running this type of query so it's usually open on my desktop all day long.  Then when I go to close it at the end of the day, I get a seemingly endless set of prompts for unsaved queries.

Board footer