SqlDbx Forum

SqlDbx

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-04 13:50:32

cthomson

IntelliSense Hotkey?

Is it currently possible (or might it be possible) to have IntelliSense not pop-up automatically but only upon pressing some hotkey?  I have found that it pops up with unexpected suggestions that then get accidentally inserted into code.  For example, if I type SELECT and then start another word (which would be a field name), IntelliSense pops-up a list of tables.  Yes, I know I could use full table name qualification of fields in my SELECT statement but I generally use aliases instead.  I realize that it can't know what I'm about to type but I would prefer it not make suggestions in those situations.  If there was an option to have it only pop-up when a hotkey was pressed (say Ctrl-. or Ctrl-Space) then I could use it only when desired such as after typing the FROM clause to get a list of tables.

In a related note, it appears that IntelliSense only takes into account the text leading up to the insertion point and not any following text in the statement.  I discovered this when I tried to force it to list field names by typing the FROM clause (so it would know which table) and then moving the cursor back up to the SELECT line.  It still didn't list fields from the specified table. 

Thanks

#2 2013-06-04 22:23:26

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Re: IntelliSense Hotkey?

I think you have a point here. Currently if you disable Intellisense in Options then there's no way to do pop up.
Probably Ctrl + Space should work always even when Intellisense is disabled.
Intellisense should work in a scenario you describe above. If you type FROM table name and then
type SELECT before FROM and press space the list of table columns should pop up or even if you type
SELECT FROM table_name and then  move cursor after select and press space the list of table columns will be displayed

#3 2013-06-05 11:57:15

garbuya

Re: IntelliSense Hotkey?

There is a better solution (and, btw it is implemented even in Windows!) - delay pop-up of IntelliSence menu for some number of milliseconds and have ability to change this number in options. In Windows pop-up submenu by default delayed by 400ms but you can change it from 0 to any number

Board footer