SqlDbx Forum

SqlDbx

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-06 08:51:26

Meurig

Suggestion - Visual Diff, delta view

Hello all, apologies for my first post being a feature request, but here goes:

I've used SqlDbx daily at work for a number of years (we were one of your first pro customers I believe) and I love the visual diff feature. One limitation though (which I regularly end up exporting to excel and fiddlig to achieve) is seeing by exactly how much the values in cells differ.

This obviously only makes sense for numeric data types (int, flot, etc) so the handling of string types would need to be considered.

This is a task we use regularly undertake when making changes to code in order to show that our result tables contain identical values before and after changes, or at least that the values differ by only a small (below a threshold) absolute or relative amount.

Being able to produce some or all of our test output using SqlDbx would save us a lot of time. Many thanks and apologies if this have been covered elsewhere.

#2 2013-02-06 10:08:16

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Re: Suggestion - Visual Diff, delta view

If I understand correctly what you want to see is condensed view of differences only.
I think it should be possible to do.
Can you provide example of how your Excel file looks like.

#3 2013-03-19 08:00:35

Meurig

Not really no. A condensed view of differences might be useful, bt it's not what I'm asking for.

I would like to see not only a highlight that there is a difference, but by exactly how much. I can't seem to upload an excel file, so I'll attempt to provide an example here:

Field1 Old     Field1 New     Field1 Diff    Field2 Old     Field2 New     Field2 Diff
              23             23             0              74             74             0
              45             46             1              784            784            0
              62             62             0              235            253            18
              577            57             520            423            423            0
Total Diff:                                 521                                          18

Note that it's the magnitude of the difference that we're interested in, the direction doesn't matter (to us at least).

The reasoning for this is that it becomes very easy to scan the diff columns (especially the totals of those columns) and confirm there are no differences.

By printing all the results it's also possible to do a spot check and confirm the numbers are the same. A condensed view would not allow the spot check.

Many thanks for considering this!

Meurig

#4 2013-03-20 06:46:46

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Now I understand. Looks like something to think about.
The way it can be done now is to export to excel and add diff columns.
I can see two way to implement it. First is to have option to add diff columns to grid
and second one to automatically add diff columns with formulas in Excel

Board footer