SqlDbx Forum

SqlDbx

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-08 01:13:30

des

Sybase connection speed

Hi, compared to SQLADV, SQLDBX seems to take longer to connect to a Sybase database. Can this be improved?

Also, I'm a big fan of clean interfaces. Is it possible to provide an option to turn off the listings on the left? e.g. Favourites, Tables, Procedures, etc

Thanks!

#2 2008-11-08 11:49:14

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Re: Sybase connection speed

To improve connection time go to Options->Servers->Sybase and uncheck "Display table row count in Object View".

#3 2008-11-09 02:34:14

des

I already have it unchecked. smile

#4 2008-11-09 03:17:25

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

What Sybase version you are on?

#5 2008-11-09 22:21:49

des

Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5.3

#6 2008-11-09 22:33:44

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

Here's the queries which run when connection established.
Is any of them take a long time?
By the way how long it takes to connect versus SQLADV.
What is SQLADV?

SELECT name 'Name', (select name from pubs3..sysusers t1 where t1.uid = t.uid) Owner, t.type 'Type', 0 'IsSystem', 'pubs3' 'DbName', t.id FROM pubs3..sysobjects t order BY t.name
SELECT name 'Name', USER_NAME(uid) Owner, type 'Type', 1 'IsSystem', 'sybsystemprocs' 'DbName', id FROM sybsystemprocs..sysobjects where type = 'P' or type = 'XP' order BY name
SELECT name 'Default Name', USER_NAME(uid) Owner, crdate 'Created' FROM sysobjects O, syscomments C WHERE type = 'D' AND O.id = C.id AND C.colid = 1 AND C.text NOT LIKE 'DEFAULT%%'ORDER BY name
SELECT name 'Rule Name', USER_NAME(uid) Owner, crdate 'Created' FROM sysobjects WHERE type = 'R' AND id NOT IN (SELECT constrid FROM sysconstraints) ORDER BY name
SELECT name 'Database', sum(size * 1.0) / (1048576.0 / @@pagesize) 'Size(M)', d.crdate 'Created' FROM master.dbo.sysusages s, master.dbo.sysdatabases d WHERE s.dbid = d.dbid GROUP BY name, d.crdate

#7 2008-11-09 23:27:51

des

first query - doesn't work since table is not found
Error (208) pubs3..sysusers not found. Specify owner.objectname or use sp_help to check whether the object exists (sp_help may produce lots of output).
Error (208) pubs3..sysobjects not found. Specify owner.objectname or use sp_help to check whether the object exists (sp_help may produce lots of output).
second query - 0.234s
third query - 0.500s
fourth query - 0.406s
fifth query - 0.406s

The results are pretty fast, but there is noticeable delay in establishing connections (at least 10s depending on the database size) compared to SQL Advantage which is almost instantaneous. Is the program attempting to cache any information?

#8 2008-11-09 23:52:33

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

The symptoms you describe is exactly what happens when table row count enabled.
You definetely do not see table row counts on a left side.
The only information cached comes from the above queries.

#9 2008-11-10 04:59:16

des

Just noticed that I do see row counts for everything listed on the left side.
Also, I've tried toggling the row count option under Sybase and the time taken to connect is the same.
I guess that means row count disabling is not working for me?
I'm currently using the latest build 3.26.1.

#10 2008-11-10 08:42:41

sqldbxhelp
Administrator

This is how manually to disable row count.
Exit SqlDbx
Run regedit.exe.
Switch to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareSqlDbxOptionsSybase
Double click on ConnectionOptions and set value to zero
That should do it

Board footer